Synopsys-Sonoma County Science Fair
The Synopsys–Sonoma County Science Fair gives grade 6-12 students the opportunity to study a topic of interest and apply their scientific knowledge to a real-life question. Students participate in the Science Fair by creating a project individually or in a group of two or three students.
Projects are as varied as the students themselves and can focus on areas of biology, chemistry, physics and astronomy, behavioral science, general science, health and human biology, mathematics, agricultural sciences, environmental science, earth and planetary science, cognitive sciences, and electronics-electromagnetism.
On the day of the Science Fair, students present their projects to the judges. Local scientists, businesspeople, teachers, and others serve as judges and interact with students about their projects.
For more information, see this post-event press release from the 2014 Science Fair or read this article from California Classroom Science, New Research: Just What are the Benefits of Science Projects?
This Year’s Event
2015 Synopsys–Sonoma County Science Fair
Friday, February 27, 2015
Sonoma State University
Pre-Event Meeting | Sept 17 | 4:00pm | SCOE
Required for participating schools
- Schools not attending this required meeting will not be eligible to participate in the 2015 Science Fair. Contact Jessica Progulske at email@example.com or 524-8418 if you have questions.
Forms and Documents
- Science Fair Handbook (pdf)
- Student Project Summary Form (doc)
- Volunteer Judge Form (eForm)
- School Registration Form | Available in October
- Student Project Registration Form | Available in October
California State Science Fair | Website
May 18-19, 2015 | Los Angeles
San Francisco Bay Area Science Fair | Website
Please note: The Synopsys-Sonoma County Science Fair no longer serves as a gateway to the San Francisco Bay Area Science Fair. School sites can register students for the Bay Area fair by visiting the fair website.
Karen McGahey, firstname.lastname@example.org, (707) 522-3330
- Event Logistics | Judge Coordination
Jessica Progulske, email@example.com, (707) 524-8418
- Project Content | Breakout Sessions
Anna Van Dordrecht, firstname.lastname@example.org, (707) 522-3334
- School & Project Registration | Facilities
Jill McIntyre, email@example.com, (707) 524-2816