Improvement Collaborative Newspage
This page provides news, information, and resources for district curriculum representatives who are part of the countywide Improvement Collaborative (previously known as the Curriculum Council).
To subscribe to automatic email updates, please contact Elizabeth Arntz, firstname.lastname@example.org or (707) 524-2816.
Improvement Collaborative Meeting ScheduleClick here to view the meeting schedule
Updates for the Week of July 13, 2020
The Learning Continuity and Attendance Plan, including a draft of the template that is being developed by CDE
Legal Response - SB 98 “Daily Live Interaction” in a hybrid model
Health & Safety Protocols training (RESIG)
Pivot Equity Reset Toolkit (released by CDE)
Improvement Collaborative Updates and New Meeting Info
Author: Jennie Snyder
- Information on the provision in SB 98:
- LEAs are not required to submit an LCAP for the 2020-2021 school year. Instead, LEAs will need to develop a Learning Continuity and Attendance Plan and governing boards will need to adopt the plan by September 30th.
- The other provisions of the trailer bill including distance learning, attendance, instructional minutes, etc.
- Resources, including links to the slides from the CDE Tuesday webinar (and a recording of the webinar) as well as an internal planning tool.
- Other updates included:
- Dashboard - California School Dashboard will not be published in December 2020 based on performance data of state and local indicators.
- OPTEL - The date for completion of the Observation Protocol for Teachers of English Learners (OPTEL) has been extended from June 30, 2020, to December 31, 2021
- TK Credentialing - Requirement that schools provide a credentialed instructor for TK classes has been delayed until August 1, 2021
- CARES Funding - Options related to the apportionment for private schools
Updates for the Week of June 29, 2020
- Implementing Title IX Regulations (support needed?) - Monica Batanero, School & College Legal Services
- CDE Webinar - Tuesday @11:00 AM (AB 77) - June 30, 2020
- Please click the link below to join the webinar:
- Independent Study Workshop - 6/24 (Link to Recording)
- New mask requirement - clarification around Sonoma County guidelines
- MOU Language around distance learning and hybrid learning around CTA
- CARE Act (Apportionment for private schools) - Update
- SCOE Communications Update from Jamie Hansen
New Zoom Link for June 23, 2020 C&I Network Meeting
Author: Elizabeth Arntz
Please find the new Zoom link for tomorrow's meeting below. This information can also be found on the running agenda and calendar invite.
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,95264555569# US (San Jose)
+14086380968,,95264555569# US (San Jose)
- CARES Update
- Williams Update
- Federal Program Monitoring 2020-2021
Updates for the Week of June 15, 2020
C&I Updates: Slide Deck
- ELPAC/CalPads Webinar - ELAS Data Flow
- Physical Fitness Testing
- Williams Update
- CARS Info
- COVID-19 Sample Reports
CDE Guidance re: Reopening of California’s Schools
This morning, CDE released its guidance on the reopening of California’s schools, entitled, “Stronger Together: A Guidebook for the Safe Reopening of California’s Public Schools." The document provides schools with recommendations, essential questions to consider, and checklists in a variety of areas, including health and safety, instructional programs for special education, CTE, and English Learners, student mental health, and school services like meals and transportation.
During our C&I Network meeting tomorrow morning, we will provide a few updates. We'll then provide opportunities for asking questions as well as engaging in conversations with colleagues from districts of similar configurations (small/elementary; K-8/middle school; high school) about current thinking and planning around reopening schools next fall. You can find a copy of our agenda here.
If there are any specific questions or topics you'd like to address, please contact me at email@example.com.
Updates for the Week of June 8, 2020
- Interest in Independent Study workshop? Poll
- Stronger Together: A Guidebook for Reopening of California’s Public Schools
- Continuity of Learning Playbooks
CARS Data Collection Update from CDE
We just received an update from CDE regarding the deadline for the CARS data collection. Below please find information about the opening dates for the CARS data collections. The 2019-20 data collection will re-open for LEAs to make changes due to COVID-19 flexibility on June 15 and close on June 30. The 2020-21 data collection will open on July 6:
In response to the Novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, the Federal Department of Education has granted California’s request for a federal flexibility waiver. As a result, local educational agencies (LEAs) will be given an opportunity to revise their federal funding pages in CARS. Specific waiver information can be found on the California Department of Education (CDE) Coronavirus (Covid-19) Federal Funding Flexibility web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/re/es/covid19fundflex.asp.
As a result of this flexibility, applicable data collection forms from the 2019–20 CARS Winter Release will be reopened for LEAs to make allowable changes. For information about allowable changes, you may review the data at the link provided above and/or contact the appropriate CDE program office. The CARS Winter release will be closed prior to the opening of the 2020–21 CARS Spring Release.
The target date to reopen the applicable data collection forms from the 2019–20 CARS Winter Release is Monday, June 15th and the close date is June 30th.
CDE expects to open the 2020–21 CARS Spring Release on Monday, July 6th. As in other years, LEAs will be given approximately six weeks to complete the CARS Spring Release data collection forms.
The dates above are subject to change, as system changes and testing are still being conducted. Once we have additional information to share, we will email LEAs. Thank you for your patience.
ConApp Support Team
If you have specific questions regarding CARS, please reach out to us. Currently, your main contact will be Shelley Stiles (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Updates for the Week of June 1, 2020
- Carl Corbin -
- Enrollment issues
- Can we get some guidance as to what we are legally obligated to provide staff with (in terms of PPE, etc.), and what are we able to do for staff that don’t feel comfortable returning?
- If a family wants to do distance learning full time, what do districts need to put into place to offer this? Would parents need to enroll their child in an independent study program? If a district does not have such a program, what would they need to do to set one up?
- State & Federal Updates - (Slide Deck)
- California Parent and Youth Helpline: The CA Parent and Youth Helpline provides support and referrals during the current COVID-19 pandemic, 7-days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Call or text 1-855-4APARENT (855-427-2736) for English, Spanish and other languages. https://caparentyouthhelpline.org/
Updates for the Week of May 25, 2020
- Covid19 Operations Report
- California School Leadership Academy Grant
- Teacher Leadership Certificate Program