Sonoma County Office of Education



Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about the Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE). If you are unable to find the answer to your question here, please contact us at (707) 524-2600.

Getting to SCOE

How do I get to SCOE?

SCOE is located at the north end of Santa Rosa, near the Sonoma County Airport. From Highway 101, exit at Airport Boulevard, turn left at the light at the end of the exit ramp, and proceed 1.5 miles west. Turn right on Skylane Boulevard. The Sonoma County Office of Education, 5340 Skylane Boulevard, is the second driveway on the right. To access the main entrance, continue down the driveway to the parking area directly in front of the largest building.

Getting to the Teacher Learning Center

The Teacher Learning Center (TLC), located at the main Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE) Campus on Skylane Boulevard, provides 21st Century, state-of-the-art learning facilities for future teachers and administrators. It opened for classes in the fall of 2018 with the primary purpose of providing learning space for the North Coast School of Education’s teacher and administrator induction and credentialing programs. Classrooms can also be reserved for meetings, special events, and professional learning classes hosted by SCOE.

The TLC is located at the southern end of the SCOE campus at 5340, Skylane Boulevard (near the Sonoma County Airport). From Highway 101, exit at Airport Boulevard, turn left at the light at the end of the exit ramp, and proceed 1.5 miles west. Turn right on Skylane Boulevard. The Sonoma County Office of Education is the second driveway on the right. To access the TLC, continue down the driveway and turn right to head to the southern end of the parking lot. Signs will direct you there.

What are SCOE’s office hours?

SCOE’s general office hours are from 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. During the summer months (mid-June to mid-August), the office closes at 4:30pm.

What hotels/motels are near SCOE?

The following hotels and motels are 4-10 miles from SCOE.
Extended Stay America – Santa Rosa North
Hampton Inn & Suites Windsor – Sonoma Wine Country
Hilton Garden Inn Sonoma County Airport
Holiday Inn Express Windsor
Holiday Inn Windsor
Sandman Motel

Contacting SCOE

How do I contact SCOE staff?

Please see the main Directory page to access staff listings and contact information.

How do I get in touch with a CalSTRS counselor?

Please call 1 (800) 228-5453 to contact or make an appointment with a California State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS) counselor. CalSTRS counselors have offices at SCOE, but must be contacted through the CalSTRS 800 number.

How do I contact CTIP, California Teacher Induction Program?

The North Coast School of Education (NCSOE) administers state-approved Teacher Induction programs for the region. These programs were formerly known as Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment (BTSA). Although the office is located at SCOE, staff contacts and related information are available only at the NCSOE website,

How do I contact SELPA staff and get IEP forms?

The Sonoma County Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) is a state-mandated association that oversees and facilitates educational services for students with disabilities in Sonoma County. SELPA staff contacts and IEP forms can be accessed from the SELPA website,


What jobs are available at SCOE?

Information about obtaining current job listings and details about SCOE’s recruitment and hiring procedures are available in the Jobs section of our website.

How do I obtain fingerprint clearance?

Information about making an appointment for LiveScan fingerprinting and answers to frequently asked questions are available in the Fingerprinting section of this website.

How do I renew my credential?

Information and answers to frequently asked questions about renewing credentials is available in the Credentials section of this website.

How do I become a substitute teacher for SCOE classes?

SCOE holds regular information sessions to explain the requirements of substitute teaching in Sonoma County. You will find information about these sessions in the Substitute Teaching section of our website. After attending an orientation session, please follow these additional steps to apply for SCOE substitute positions.

Who do I contact for employment verification?

Requests for employment verification should be submitted in writing to the SCOE Human Resources department. Written requests may be faxed to (707) 524-2950.

Legal Issues

Is SCOE in charge of all the districts?

No. The day-to-day operations of each public school district are overseen by a district superintendent and an elected board of education. Like the other 57 county offices of education in California, the Sonoma County Office of Education’s role is to provide leadership, support, fiscal oversight, and accountability assistance to the county’s school districts.

Is there an appeal process if an inter-district transfer is denied?

The Sonoma County Board of Education hears inter-district transfer appeals. See Attendance Options & Appeals for information about this process. Staff in SCOE’s Administration office can answer questions regarding the appeal process. Please email Vanessa Johns Wedderburn at or call (707) 524-8402.

How can I access the state education code related to a particular issue?

You can search California’s Education Code by topic, look up a particular code number, or review any section of the code online through the California Law section of the California Legislative Information website.

Where do I pay school impact fees?

School impact fees, also called building fees, are generally paid at school district offices. Fees for Horicon and Kashia school districts are collected in the Business Services department at the Sonoma County Office of Education, (707) 524-2628.

How do I file a private school affidavit?

California Education Code Section 33190 requires private schools to file an affidavit with the State Superintendent of Public Instruction between October 1 and 15 of each year. Guidelines for filing an affidavit are available at the CDE’s Private Schools website, along with the online form for submitting affidavits. For more information, please contact the Private Schools office in Sacramento, (916) 445-7331.

Resolving Complaints

How do I resolve a complaint with my child’s school?

If you are experiencing a problem with your local school, there is a specific procedure that you should follow to get your complaint resolved.

If your complaint involves an individual teacher or other member of the school staff, it is suggested that you contact him/her directly to discuss your concerns and try to resolve the problem informally. If this fails, contact the principal or vice principal of the school. If this also produces unsatisfactory results or you are uncertain how to proceed, contact the school district office for assistance.

Each district has a written policy and administrative regulations for dealing with complaints. These documents provide direction on how to file a complaint at the district level and will be provided to you on request. In many cases, you will be asked to submit your complaint in writing. Complaints are handled as described in the district policy, which also includes an appeal process.

Some types of complaints may require special handling. For example, if your complaint involves special education services, you may want to call the Sonoma County SELPA’s Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) helpline at (707) 524-2785. This resource is available to resolve disagreements between schools and the families of all children in special education in Sonoma County. If your complaint alleges discrimination, harassment, or a violation of a federal or state law, you may need to follow Uniform Complaint Procedures.Your school district can inform you about this process.

Parents sometimes attempt to contact the Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE) for assistance regarding complaints against local schools; however, SCOE does not have authority over local schools and these calls are referred back to the district level. Note that the day-to-day operations of each public school are overseen by a district superintendent and elected board of trustees, not by SCOE.

If you would like contact information for a particular district, please see our district directory.

Leilan, Student
"I like Amarosa because there's a much smaller student count and so teachers can be one-on-one with you. They can actually help you and be one-on-one with you while the class is doing something else. I feel like that's a huge game-changer." - Leilan, Student