School Reopening Considerations for the Fall
SCOE is working closely with school districts, the state department of education, and local health officials to determine when it will be safe to reopen school—and under what conditions. We hope to receive more information from state and local officials soon to support school district planning for a safe reopening. On May 15, SCOE sent a letter to the Sonoma County Department of Health Services asking for specific guidance to guide the reopening of schools. View the letter here: SCOE Letter to DHS requesting guidance.
Fall Planning Updates
We will post regular updates regarding the progress schools are making toward planning for a safe, positive learning environment in the fall.
School Reopening Planning Guide
The following is a collaborative resource intended to help schools begin thinking and planning for how school can be safely reopened, based on consultations with the Sonoma County Department of Health Services, the CDE, and other county offices of education around the state. However, it is important to note that much is still unknown about the virus and what it will look like in the Fall. Additionally, there is no one-size-fits-all plan for Sonoma County school districts. For instance, reopening could look very different for small, rural school districts than larger, urban ones.
Districts and charters are encouraged to be knowledgeable of current information and guidance released by the Sonoma County Department of Health Services and to work collaboratively with collective bargaining units and stakeholders in the development and implementation of plans and actions. Access the document here.
Find Services and Information
Distance Learning Resources for Educators
Access webinars, sample resources, best practices and more.
Mental Wellness Resources for Educators
Mental wellness supports designed specifically for educators.
Health Guidelines & Updates
Access infectious disease plan + other protocols.
Video: Schools Q&A with Susan Gorin
05/27/2020 • Update on School Reopening Planning
05/27/2020 • Reapertura de Escuelas Cerca de Casa
05/18/2020 • Honoring Classified School Employees
How SCOE Is Helping
- Working with the county health department and office of emergency services to respond to COVID-19 (Coronavirus) within Sonoma County.
- Proactively connected school districts with guidance from the County Public Health Department, CDE, and other resources in order to prepare for and respond to the new coronavirus.
- Working with a committee of representative school district superintendents, as well as County Health Officer, California Department of Education, and California Department of Public Health, to provide Sonoma County guidelines and considerations for school reopening in the fall.
- Advocating at the state level for better broadband access for rural school districts
- Advocating at the state level for better funding for schools in Fall 2020 so that they have the resources to provide a safe learning environment
- Facilitate regular meetings between the County Health Officer and school districts beginning Feb. 3 and continuing to present.
- Partnered with the County Health Officer to issue guidance letters regarding safety protocols and suspending in-person classes on Feb. 3, Feb. 26, March 14, and March 25.
- Providing ongoing, customized support to school districts to support them with distance learning, including technology support and assistance in serving specialized student groups such as English learners, students receiving special education services, and homeless/foster youth.
- Collaborated with school districts to create an interactive map of school sites where free lunches are being offered.