The Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE) maintains a centralized substitute teacher database and individuals interested in substitute teaching in Sonoma County must register through SCOE’s credentials office. Prospective substitutes must attend a substitute orientation session.
Appointments are required for meetings with the Credential Clerk
Substitute orientations are held at SCOE to explain the permit process and other requirements for substitute teaching in Sonoma County. Attendance at a substitute orientation is mandatory for individuals seeking substitute teaching positions. There is limited seating, so please access the SCOE Class List to register for the next available substitute orientation session.
- Hold a valid California credential based on a Bachelor's degree and the Basic Skills Requirement or substitute teaching permit
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree or higher from a regionally accredited four year college or university AND have completed the Basic Skills Requirement. For more information regarding the Basic Skills Requirement, please refer to leaflet CL-667: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/
- Current enrollment in a regionally accredited four-year California college or university, completion of a minimum of 90 semester units of coursework from a regionally-accredited four-year college or university, and satisfaction of the Basic Skills Requirement
- All other requirements will be discussed at the substitute orientation.
Sonoma State University students may be able to attend a substitute orientation session on the SSU campus. Contact the SSU School of Education or SCOE credentials office for details.
Acceptance of substitute applications
Substitute application packets will be accepted by appointment only. Please call (707) 524-2681 to schedule an appointment.
If you want to work for a new district, you must contact that district directly.
Bloodborne Pathogens training
To ensure that all substitute teachers are properly informed about bloodborne pathogens, the Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE) offers a training video and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) kit to all substitutes registered through SCOE. This training is provided during the mandatory substitute orientation sessions (call (707) 524-2681 to register). PPE kits may be obtained when you submit your substitute paperwork.
Mandated Reporter training
The Mandated Reporter Training (AB 1432) is an annual training that must be completed by Substitute Teachers after July 1st. Mandated Reporter Training certificates completed prior to July 1st are not valid for the following school year.
Post-Offer Pre-Placement Physical (POPP) requirement for substituting in special education classrooms
To learn more about the special application process in place for substituting in SCOE and/or Sonoma County public school district special education classrooms, please reference the information regarding or contact Asia Teixeira at 707-524-2679.
Sexual Harassment training
Check back for details on upcoming trainings.
Substitute training and resources from STEDI
A substitute training is offered by STEDI (formerly the Substitute Teaching Institute at Utah State University). This training, SubSkills, is an excellent tool for new Substitutes as well as veteran teachers. The STEDI website is www.stedi.org.
Reference materials and forms
Issued or renewed credentials and permits
When you receive or renew your credential or substitute permit from CTC, please make sure that you submit a copy of your credential to the districts that you are working for. Note that SCOE no longer reissues sub verification forms when credentials, TB clearances, or Mandated Reporter certificates are updated.
Please ensure you have designated Sonoma County as your Last Known County of Employment via your Educator Page at www.ctc.ca.gov by completing the following steps:
- Proceed to www.ctc.ca.gov
- Click on “Credentialing Information"
- Click on "Educator Login"
- Login with your user name and password
- Click "Add or Change Personal Information"
- Verify personal information is correct and ensure you have "Sonoma County" selected as your Last Known County of Employment.
- Click "Save"
Substitute teaching in SCOE classrooms
There is a special application process in place for substituting in SCOE Alternative Education, Career Technical Education, and Special Education programs. Please reference the information regarding Substitute Teaching in SCOE Classrooms.
The Sonoma County Office of Education is committed to making its online materials and information accessible to individuals of all abilities.
Individuals may obtain an alternate, accessible version of the content in these documents by contacting email@example.com and by including a copy of the document as an attachment. If you are unable to attach a copy of the document, please indicate the document name and website location. SCOE staff will respond to your request within 2-business days.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.