The Sonoma County Office of Education (SCOE) maintains a centralized substitute teacher database. Individuals interested in substitute teaching in Sonoma County must register for and attend a mandatory substitute orientation (upcoming dates listed here). Upon activation in the consortium, substitutes may register with any of the 41 public school districts within the County to substitute teach.
Application Process and Criteria
The application process can vary depending on the individual's background, but candidates should always plan to attend a substitute orientation as a first step and then follow the general steps outlined below. Candidates should also make sure that they are eligible based on the criteria below before moving forward.
1. Check Your EligibilityPrior to attending a Substitute Orientation, interested candidates must first meet one of the following criteria:
- Hold a valid California credential based on a Bachelor's degree and the Basic Skills Requirement or substitute teaching permit.
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree or higher from a regionally accredited four year college or university.
- Regarding the Basic Skills Requirement: As of January 1, 2023, per CA Senate Bill 1397, the Basic Skills Requirement is temporarily waived when applying for a 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit until July 1, 2024. However, applicants can still apply for the Permit providing satisfaction of the Requirement if they wish to do so. For more information regarding the Basic Skills Requirement, please refer to leaflet CL-667
- Current enrollment in a regionally accredited four-year California college or university, completion of a minimum of 90 semester units of coursework from a regionally-accredited four-year college or university, and satisfaction of the Basic Skills Requirement
- All other requirements will be discussed at the substitute orientation.
2. Attend a Mandatory Virtual Orientation Session
Substitute orientations are held virtually via Zoom throughout the year to explain the application process and outline requirements necessary for substitute teaching in Sonoma County. Attendance at a substitute orientation is mandatory for individuals seeking substitute teaching positions. An application packet is provided to attendees thereafter.
3. Be Fingerprinted and Obtain Medical Clearance
You will learn more about these requirements and how they apply to you at the Orientation.
4. Complete Basic Training
The following training, roughly 3 hours in length, will be provided to all Consortium applicants upon receipt of their fingerprint clearance:
Bloodborne Pathogens Safety training. This course complies with OSHA’s Bloodborne Pathogens standard to reduce the health risks to workers whose duties involve exposure to blood or other hazardous materials. To ensure that all substitute teachers are properly informed about bloodborne pathogens, SCOE offers training and a Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) kit to all substitutes as part of the application process. A PPE kit may be obtained after receiving your authorization.
Mandated Reporter training. This course complies with CA AB 1432 that requires that all school district employees must report any suspected incidents of abuse, neglect, or exploitation of students. Annual recertification is required of all substitutes on or after July 1 to reactivate their status for the coming school year.
Sexual Harassment Awareness training. This course complies with CA SB 1343 that employers provide one hour of sexual harassment and abusive conduct prevention training to nonmanagerial employees once every two years.
5. Submitting completed substitute applications
Substitute application packets are accepted by appointment only. Please call (707) 524-2681 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
Welcome back to SCOE Consortium Substitute Teachers interested in reactivating their status for the 2023-2024 school year!
All substitute teachers are required to annually recertify Child Abuse Mandated Reporter training on or after July 1, 2023 and will be considered inactive until this and all other expired requirements (if any) are brought current. Please email email@example.com for training login information and to learn more.
If you want to work for a new district, you must contact that district directly.
Substitute training and resources from STEDI
A substitute training is offered by STEDI (formerly the Substitute Teaching Institute at Utah State University). This training, SubSkills, is an excellent tool for new Substitutes as well as veteran teachers. The STEDI website is www.stedi.org.
Issued or renewed credentials and permits
When you receive or renew your credential or substitute permit from CTC, please make sure that you submit a copy of your credential to the districts that you are working for. Note that SCOE no longer reissues sub verification forms when credentials, TB clearances, or training certificates are updated.
Please ensure you have designated Sonoma County as your Last Known County of Employment via your Educator Page at www.ctc.ca.gov by completing the following steps:
- Proceed to www.ctc.ca.gov
- Click on “Credentialing Information"
- Click on "Educator Login"
- Login with your user name and password
- Click "Add or Change Personal Information"
- Verify personal information is correct and ensure you have "Sonoma County" selected as your Last Known County of Employment.
- Click "Save"
Substitute teaching in SCOE classrooms
There is a special application process in place for substituting in SCOE Alternative Education and Special Education programs. Please reference the information regarding Substitute Teaching in SCOE Classrooms and contact Asia Teixeira, SCOE HR Analyst, at (707) 524-2679 or firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
The Sonoma County Office of Education is committed to making its online materials and information accessible to individuals of all abilities.
Individuals may obtain an alternate, accessible version of the content in these documents by contacting email@example.com and by including a copy of the document as an attachment. If you are unable to attach a copy of the document, please indicate the document name and website location. SCOE staff will respond to your request within 2-business days.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.