Sonoma County Office of Education

Student and Family Disaster Support

Student and Family Disaster Support

Natural disasters impact our schools and students in many ways. This page is designed to help schools and parents support students with their educational and emotional needs after a disaster. 

Flood Recovery and Wellness Fund

United Way has set up a Flood Recovery and Wellness Fund. Learn more here.

Returning Home After A Flood

Local Assistance Center:
Residents impacted by winter storms and floods can access recovery services and resources at the Local Assistance Center (LAC) which will be open on Sunday, March 3 from from noon-6 p.m., at the former Bank of America Building, 16390 Main St., Guerneville. The LAC will stay open all week, from Monday, March 4 through Saturday, March 9, from 9 a.m.-6 p.m daily. The LAC may remain open after this date if needed.

Coordinated Entry System:
Coordinated Entry is a streamlined system designed to efficiently match people experiencing homelessness to available housing, shelter, and services. Learn more about the coordinated entry system by viewing this flier.

Encouraging Residents to Report all Damages:

This message is from Supervisor Lynda Hopkins' office to residents impacted by the flood:
To maximize State and Federal support opportunities, we encourage residents impacted by the flood to accurately record and report ALL losses and damages. Please report EVERYTHING, including damages to property, personal belongings, vehicles, and all items large and small on your property. Take photos and make a list of all items damaged or lost.

Additional resources and information for families impacted by the flood is available at

Educational Rights of Homeless/Displaced Students

Under law, students displaced by a natural disaster (such as flood, earthquake or fire) are entitled to enroll in the nearest school district (not necessarily a specific school) to their temporary residence. Learn more about this and other resources for displaced students at SCOE's Homeless Education page.

Right to enroll in a new district of residence

Per federal law, every student who has lost his or her home due to the disaster has the right to enroll in the school district in which they are temporarily housed. If they have had to move out of the county, this applies anywhere in the state.

This does not guarantee admittance into a specific school within the district, however. Districts will determine the school based on many factors, including available space. 

To enroll, simply contact the school district of your current residence. If you're unsure which district that is, click here. You do not need documentation or proof of residence. 

Transportation to original district

A displaced student can also remain in the school he/she was attending before the disaster and receive support for transportation to that school. To facilitate this, contact the school the student was already attending to notify them of your loss and get support. 

Free/reduced lunch eligibility

A homeless/displaced child is also eligible for free/reduced lunch, regardless of family income. 

McKinney-Vento Flier

This flier provides detailed information on the federal law that secures the rights of homeless students. 

McKinney-Vento Flier - English | McKinney-Vento Flier - Spanish

Books and Guides for Parents

Amie Carter, Sonoma County Superintendent
"The mission of the Sonoma County Office of Education is to foster student success through service to schools, students, and the community." - Amie Carter, Sonoma County Superintendent