Next Generation Science Standards
Never before has our world been so complex and science knowledge so critical. Science understanding is key to comprehending current events, choosing and using technology, or making informed decisions about healthcare. All students – whether they become technicians in a hospital, workers in high-tech manufacturing, or science researchers – need a solid science education.
In 2013, new science standards were adopted for California’s K-12 public schools. These Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) are rich in content and practice. They are arranged across disciplines and grade levels to give all students an internationally benchmarked science education.
Science Professional Development
Once scheduled, all professional development events related to science will be shown below. If nothing is shown below, there are no upcoming classes.
Blog: Exploring NGSS
In this blog, SCOE Science Coordinator Anna Van Dordrecht shares the latest news and resources related to the Next Generation Science Standards. Access the blog here.
For NGSS updates and information about resources, please email Anna Babarinde at email@example.com
COVID-19 Shelter-at-Home Resources
- Distance learning tools and resources to support the implementation of the Next Generation Science Standards
- Sonoma State University's Center for Environmental Inquiry - free public programs and events (http://cei.sonoma.edu/calendar)
- Piner High Planetarium Piner High School puts on a free public show at its planetarium on the last Thursday of every month starting at 7 PM. The show gives a preview of the night sky for the month, highlights important news in the science world, and usually includes a full dome planetarium movie on a key scientific concept, such as black holes. The Piner High School staff wants all community members to know that this wonderful facility is open to all. Everyone is welcome and should make use of this fantastic local gem in our community. Please contact Piner High with any questions.
- TeenNat Summer Internship Program at Pepperwood Preserve: Learn more and apply here
- Sonoma County Astronomical Society
- KQED Quest
- National Weather Service: Learn Science and Safety
About the NGSS
Questions may be directed to:
- Anna Babarinde , Coordinator, Science