Next Generation Science
Never before has our world been so complex and science knowledge so critical. Science understanding is key to comprehending current events, choosing and using technology, or making informed decisions about healthcare. All students – whether they become technicians in a hospital, workers in high-tech manufacturing, or science researchers – need a solid science education.
In 2013, new science standards were adopted for California’s K-12 public schools. These Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) are rich in content and practice. They are arranged across disciplines and grade levels to give all students an internationally benchmarked science education.
Science Professional Development at SCOE
Once scheduled, all professional development events related to science will be shown below. If nothing is shown below, there are no upcoming classes.
Blog: Exploring NGSS
In this blog, SCOE Science Coordinator Anna Van Dordrecht shares the latest news and resources related to the Next Generation Science Standards. Access the blog here.
For NGSS updates and information about resources, please email Anna Van Dordrecht at firstname.lastname@example.org
- TeenNat Summer Internship Program at Pepperwood Preserve: Learn more and apply here
- North Bay Maker Educator Meetups
Maker Educator Meetups (MEMs) are an opportunity to meet with like minded educators and learn from one another. The goals of the monthly meetups (alternating between Sonoma and Marin counties) are support, networking, and equity — bringing design and making to all youth.
- Buck Institute Field Trips
- LiMPETS, Long-term Monitoring Program & Experimental Training for Students
- Sonoma County Astronomical Society
- KQED Quest
- Expanding Your Horizons - Sonoma County (Inspiring girls to pursue STEM careers)
- National Weather Service: Learn Science and Safety