MAA Claiming Activities
Claiming activities are necessary for the proper and efficient administration of the Medi-Cal program. The federal government, through the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) will reimburse local school district programs for a share of the costs of performing allowable activities. These activities generally include:
- Outreach, including bringing potential eligible students into the Medi-Cal system and assisting Medi-Cal recipients to obtain Medi-Cal services.
- Facilitating Medi-Cal applications.
- Monitoring and management of Medi-Cal services.
- Arranging transportation activities for Medi-Cal recipients to Medi-Cal covered services.
- Third-party translation to assist in accessing Medi-Cal services.
- Program Planning and Policy Development and Interagency Coordination related to the Medi-Cal services in communities and schools.
- MAA administration, coordination, and training.
The complete list of MAA codes and activity descriptions can be found in detail in the California manual at the state's School-Based Medi-Cal Administrative Activities (SMAA) website.