Authority and Participation
The Medi-Cal Administrative Activities (MAA) program is mandated by the Welfare & Institutions (W&I) Code, Section 14132.47, which authorizes the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) to contract with local governmental agencies (LGA) to assist with the performance of administrative activities necessary for the proper and efficient administration of the Medi-Cal program.
The 1998-99 Budget Trailer Bill, Assembly Bill (AB) No. 2780, Statutes of 1998, Chapter 310, W&I Code, Section 14132.47 was amended to allow local educational agencies (LEAs) to claim MAA through a local educational consortium (LEC) rather than subcontracting through their respective LGA. One LEC will be designated for each service region of the California County Superintendent Educational Services Association.
How Schools Participate
Agencies choosing to participate in MAA must comply with the program requirements established by the state Department of Health Care Services (DHCS). These include:
- Enrollment with the regional LEC or LGA.
- Certification of eligible time survey participants.
- Participation in the Random Moment Time Survey process (RMTS)
- Meet minimum compliance percentages each quarter
- Preparation of an audit file, which describes the personnel and activities, which will be claimed.
- Preparation of quarterly MAA invoices.
- Certification of local funds to match the federal share.
- Each LEA participating in MAA must retain a contract with the Regional LEC or LGA. Those contracts specify the particular requirements of LEAs for that region.