Early Childhood Education (ECE)
On behalf of local school districts, SCOE offers a variety of learning experiences for preschoolers who are eligible for special education services. Children who are 3 to 5 years old can receive instruction geared to their individual needs. Special day classes, programs that build mobility skills, specialized services for young children on the autism spectrum, counseling and mental health services, and remedial speech and language instruction are among the many services available. Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) are developed for each student by a team that includes the child’s parents or caregivers and the ECE Special Education teachers, specialists, and administrators who will be working with the child. Service options include:
- Special Day Classes/Autism Specialty Programs
- Special Day Classes/Non-Categorical
- Co-Enrolled Head Start Classes
- Specialized Health Services Classrooms
Referrals to SCOE’s Special Education ECE Programs must be submitted by the student's district of residence.
Form: ECE Referral Form (pdf)
- District completes the two-page ECE Referral Form and compiles necessary attachments. Referral packet is sent to the SCOE Early Childhood Education (ECE) Program, 1059 Camino Coronado, Rohnert Park, CA 94928.
- Referral packet is date-stamped upon receipt and the intake timeline begins.
- SCOE personnel review the packet and determine whether further evaluation is needed.
- An intake case manager is assigned. The case manager calls the parent to schedule an intake evaluation. Classroom visits are arranged following the intake evaluation.
- SCOE schedules an IEP and invites appropriate programs and agencies to attend.
- SCOE staff provide the Present Levels and develop proposed Goals and Objectives for the IEP team to consider. The IEP team determines eligibility and placement.
SCOE ECE Program Office at El Colegio School
1059 Camino Coronado
Rohnert Park, CA 94928